(Swipe Left And Right To View All)
Lori hanging paper to dry
I have no explanation for this piece.
Each individual component is about 2 feet long by 6 – 8 inches wide of handmade paper. There are 900 pieces pinned onto the wall with 1000 pins. A variety of fibers was used:
· Kozo, a “paper mulberry” tree that is completely regenerating
· Flax – bast fiber plant used for linen fabric, rope, and paper
· Hemp – bast fiber plant used for clothing, rope, paper, money, the drafts for the constitution of the United States.
· Native Iris – the entire stock of the iris plant gathered in my field. Used locally for basket making.
· Encaustic – a mixture of wax and natural dammar resin.
· Dye – each fiber takes on the color in a different manner.